Fact: Vaccines Do Not Cause Autism.
[Note: Shared for #AutisticHistory archive purposes. This is NOT An Autistic Ally.]
REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
Mercury and Autism
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: NOVEMBER 15, 2000
Cure Autism Now, the largest private funder of autism research and resources, invites proposals that examine the possible metabolic, molecular, genetic or other response to mercury as it relates to autism.
Exposure to mercury, a potent neurotoxin, has been shown to cause immune, sensory, neurological, motor, and behavioral dysfunctions similar to traits defining or associated with autism, and the similarities extend to neuroanatomy, neurotransmitters, and biochemistry. Exposure to mercury can occur directly to the child or indirectly from the mother to the fetus through vaccines, other medical products such as immune globulin injections, dental amalgams, and consumption of contaminated fish. There is a need to understand whether and how mercury may play a role in causing autism, as well as how to treat its effects.
A number of different areas are of interest. Examples of studies that would be given high priority include:
1. Studies that investigate the epidemiology of autism and mercury exposure. These could include comparison of vaccinated children with thimerosal with those vaccinated without thimerosal, studying the incidence of autism, similarities or differences in presentation, and response to treatment. These should be carefully correlated with the dose of mercury received. A study of unvaccinated children with comparison to those vaccinated would also be of great interest. Careful epidemiological data collection will be essential, as well as precise characterization of the nature of the neurodevelopmental defects. Consideration of other mercury exposure in these children, and some measurement of the same would be preferable.
2. Studies that investigate the pathophysiology of mercury at the cellular level. These could include the mechanism of toxicity of mercury on the neuron, how long mercury is retained in the cell, and whether the damage can be altered by intervention at different points in time.
3. Studies that investigate the ways in which the body can successfully detoxify from mercury exposure. These could include studies of astrocyte metallothionein, compounds such as tripeptide glutathione, and studies of individual variability in sulfate metabolism. Such work could include in vitro or in vivo studies, and should consider ways to develop an assay for measurement of the ability of any individual to respond to a toxic mercury challenge.
4. Studies that systematically investigate chelation therapy for the treatment of autism. These should include a control group. A double blind crossover study will be given highest preference. Blinded neuropsychological assessments, with instruments appropriate for characterization of autism are essential.
5. Studies that can noninvasively document mercury exposure, and the role of mercury in the pathophysiology of autism. These could include blood or other tissue assays, or novel uses of currently available imaging techniques such as MRI scanning, PET scanning, or magnetoencephalography. New technology will also be favorably considered.
6. Studies that investigate the role of the immune system in the pathophysiology of autism that relate to the ways in which mercury exposure influences the immune response.
7. Studies that investigate genetic susceptibility to mercury. A number of genetic variations in animals as well as lower organisms that result in increased susceptibility to mercury toxicity have been described in the literature. These genetic variants include a variety of mechanisms, which range from autoimmune to SH group differences to polymorphisms in the catocholeminergic system, which result in increased susceptibility to mercury toxicity. If such genetic susceptibility exists in man, traditional epidemiological approaches that rely primarily upon measuring quantitative exposure to mercury could fail to capture the affects of mercury exposure upon this population.
8. The Autism Genetic Resource Exchange (AGRE) is a large repository of blood samples with immortalized cell lines and DNA obtained from carefully characterized autistic individuals, as well as their siblings and parents. The collection includes a number of twin pairs, triplets and a limited number of discordant, identical twin pairs. Studies that would utilize this material to investigate any of the above areas of research, or that would utilize this material for other work related to mercury and autism will be strongly considered. Investigators may apply for access to DNA or serum samples free of charge either as a stand alone grant to enable existing research related to this RFP or as a supplementary grant to be utilized in the implementation of research funded by this RFP.
The above projects are merely examples, and any other scientifically valid study will be given strong consideration. Cure Autism Now places a high priority on this important area of research.
Projects will be funded at a level of $40,000-$100,000 per year for one or two years, depending on the project, and the investigators. Principal investigators must have an academic and/or non-profit institutional affiliation.
Except where otherwise specified within this RFP, all other terms, conditions and specifications listed in the CAN Grant Guidelines apply.
Please submit a two-page letter of intent describing the proposed project to: CAN Research Programs, Mercury RFP, P. O. Box 36188, Los Angeles, CA 90036-0188 by November 15, 2000. A full proposal will be requested on projects of interest.
If you have additional questions please call or e-mail CAN Science Program Officer, Libby Tegley at: 888-8AUTISM, email@example.com. More information on Cure Autism Now can be found on our web site http://www.cureautismnow.org.
The Autism Community Is Not The Autistic Community
More With Cure Autism Now
Autistic people have fought the inclusion of ABA in therapy for us since before Autism Speaks, and other non-Autistic-led autism organizations, started lobbying legislation to get it covered by insurances and Medicaid.
ABA is a myth originally sold to parents that it would keep their Autistic child out of an institution. Today, parents are told that with early intervention therapy their child will either be less Autistic or no longer Autistic by elementary school, and can be mainstreamed in typical education classes. ABA is very expensive to pay out of pocket. Essentially, Autism Speaks has justified the big price tag up front will offset the overall burden on resources for an Autistic’s lifetime. The recommendation for this therapy is 40 hours a week for children and toddlers.
The original study that showed the success rate of ABA to be at 50% has never been replicated. In fact, the study of ABA by United States Department of Defense was denounced as a failure. Not just once, but multiple times. Simply stated: ABA doesn’t work. In study after repeated study: ABA (conversion therapy) doesn’t work.
What more recent studies do show: Autistics who experienced ABA therapy are at high risk to develop PTSD and other lifelong trauma-related conditions. Historically, the autism organizations promoting ABA as a cure or solution have silenced Autistic advocates’ opposition. ABA is also known as gay conversion therapy.
The ‘cure’ for Autistics not born yet is the prevention of birth.
The ‘cure’ is a choice to terminate a pregnancy based on ‘autism risk.’ The cure is abortion. This is the same ‘cure’ society has for Down Syndrome.
This is eugenics 2021. Instead of killing Autistics and disabled children in gas chambers or ‘mercy killings’ like in Aktion T4, it’ll happen at the doctor’s office, quietly, one Autistic baby at a time. Different approaches yes, but still eugenics and the extinction of an entire minority group of people.
Fact: You can’t cure Autistics from being Autistic.
Fact: You can’t recover an Autistic from being Autistic.
Fact: You can groom an Autistic to mask and hide their traits. Somewhat. … however, this comes at the expense of the Autistic child, promotes Autistic Burnout (this should not be confused with typical burnout, Autistic Burnout can kill Autistics), and places the Autistic child at high risk for PTSD and other lifelong trauma-related conditions.
[Note: Autism is NOT a disease, but a neurodevelopmental difference and disability.]
Fact: Vaccines Do Not Cause Autism.