[Note: Shared for #AutisticHistory archive purposes. This is NOT An Autistic Ally.]
President Clinton Signs Children’s Health Act of 2000
- Special focus on autism research. The legislation authorizes Centers of Excellence at both NIH and the Centers for Disease Control to promote research on the cause, diagnosis, early detection, prevention, control, and treatment of autism.
- Training of Physicians Who Care for Children. The legislation also extends the authorization of funds through 2005 to reimburse freestanding children’s hospitals that train health professionals a priority of this Administration.
- Research on child development and the environment. This bill authorizes new research provisions, which will increase our understanding of children’s health, including a long-term development study on environmental influences on children’s health and a loan repayment program at NIH for health professionals conducting pediatric research.
- Authorizing Healthy Start for the first time. Finally, this bill takes the long overdue step of authorizing the Healthy Start demonstration program, which is designed to reduce the rate of infant mortality and improve birth outcomes in targeted communities by expanding access to health care services for pregnant women and infants in targeted communities.
- Enacted single largest investment in children’s health care since 1965 with the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (S-CHIP) — providing meaningful health care coverage to 2.5 million previously uninsured children.
- Enacted legislation to help young people leaving foster care remain eligible for Medicaid up to age 21, thus maintaining health care coverage.
- Enacted legislation to extend the availability of the $500 million fund for children’s health outreach for states to use towards the costs of simplifying their eligibility systems and conducting enrollment outreach.
- Issued regulation requiring drug companies to provide adequate testing to ensure that prescription drugs safely satisfy the unique needs of children.
- Launched new effort to increase childhood immunizations, resulting in all-time high rates with 90 percent or more of America’s toddlers receiving critical vaccines by age 2, nearly eliminating racial and ethnic disparities.
- Launched new public-private effort to ensure that children with emotional and behavioral conditions are appropriately diagnosed, treated, and monitored by enhancing parent education, research and improved pediatric labeling.
- Initiated national strategy to fight childhood asthma, launched by First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton, which enhanced school-based and state-wide disease management programs, research and public information campaigns.
Autistic people have fought the inclusion of ABA in therapy for us since before Autism Speaks, and other non-Autistic-led autism organizations, started lobbying legislation to get it covered by insurances and Medicaid.
ABA is a myth originally sold to parents that it would keep their Autistic child out of an institution. Today, parents are told that with early intervention therapy their child will either be less Autistic or no longer Autistic by elementary school, and can be mainstreamed in typical education classes. ABA is very expensive to pay out of pocket. Essentially, Autism Speaks has justified the big price tag up front will offset the overall burden on resources for an Autistic’s lifetime. The recommendation for this therapy is 40 hours a week for children and toddlers.
The original study that showed the success rate of ABA to be at 50% has never been replicated. In fact, the study of ABA by United States Department of Defense was denounced as a failure. Not just once, but multiple times. Simply stated: ABA doesn’t work. In study after repeated study: ABA (conversion therapy) doesn’t work.
What more recent studies do show: Autistics who experienced ABA therapy are at high risk to develop PTSD and other lifelong trauma-related conditions. Historically, the autism organizations promoting ABA as a cure or solution have silenced Autistic advocates’ opposition. ABA is also known as gay conversion therapy.
The ‘cure’ for Autistics not born yet is the prevention of birth.
The ‘cure’ is a choice to terminate a pregnancy based on ‘autism risk.’ The cure is abortion. This is the same ‘cure’ society has for Down Syndrome.
This is eugenics 2021. Instead of killing Autistics and disabled children in gas chambers or ‘mercy killings’ like in Aktion T4, it’ll happen at the doctor’s office, quietly, one Autistic baby at a time. Different approaches yes, but still eugenics and the extinction of an entire minority group of people.
Fact: You can’t cure Autistics from being Autistic.
Fact: You can’t recover an Autistic from being Autistic.
Fact: You can groom an Autistic to mask and hide their traits. Somewhat. … however, this comes at the expense of the Autistic child, promotes Autistic Burnout (this should not be confused with typical burnout, Autistic Burnout can kill Autistics), and places the Autistic child at high risk for PTSD and other lifelong trauma-related conditions.
[Note: Autism is NOT a disease, but a neurodevelopmental difference and disability.]
Fact: Vaccines Do Not Cause Autism.