We are neurodiverse, you are neurotypical … #actuallyautistic
My children matter. All of my children. All of my Autistic children and non-autistic children.
So why does Autism Speaks board member bash children like mine … well the ones who are self-advocates … and use words like “zealots” for Autistics fighting for civil and human rights?
We’re not the ones who have something to lose here.
We’ve already lost.
Autism Speaks you need to stop sending your people to bash on my kids. All Autistics are worthy — not just the ones your board members deem worthy of their help.
If you’re going to be the biggest say for Autistic Healthcare — get these haters and people using slurs, hate speech and more towards my children the hell off your board.
Don’t you dare speak inclusion while excluding and sending your henchmen to say horrible things to my children who I raised to be SELF-ADVOCATES. I parented my children to have pride in self — maybe that’s because I was raised to have pride in self … no matter where I was born from.
Perhaps a leftover from being raised in the shadow of my great-grandmother who was so ashamed of her heritage she denied it to her death and refused to sign her name on the rolls.
Maybe because I come from people who survived experiences like the Dust Bowl and other hardships and dealt with stigma and hate when they had to relocate — to always have pride in self.
Maybe because I am born different and learned how to have pride in myself … maybe that’s the reason my children have the courage to be self-advocates …. even in the faces of slurs and hate.
You have no idea the amount of courage it takes for them to speak up, #BillyMann.
Stop excluding us. Stop calling us names. Stop using slurs to dehumanize us. Stop using a popularity contest to say you’re right — Autistic people will never meet the #s of your “autism parents.”
We don’t have the population numbers to do that. So nice work on oppression there, twunt.
Maybe if Billy Mann got off his privileged ass and saw how self-advocates ‘lived’ he would evolve his tune and sing another.
He is Autism Speaks.
Eve Reiland (US)
- Bill Maher Says Vaccine-Autism Link Is Not ‘Crazy’| Eve Reiland says @billmaher, Autistic People Aren’t Your Conspiracy Theory. Stop Harming Us.
- The Autistic Mom’s Halloween Shirt. The only one you’ll ever need. | Eve Reiland
- This Halloween, #DontBeADick. No Blue Buckets Here. | Eve Reiland
– Culture & Community –
- Tesla (Audiobook) by Richard Munson | Audible.com
- Things Not to Say to a Parent of a Child with Mental Illness | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Techniques to Spot Childhood Depression | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Fierce Autistic Advocate: How I Became Someone’s Inspiration Porn
- Parents’ Fear For Their Autistic Children in Bosnia and Hercegovina | NOVA BH