I am a special education teacher who happens to have an autistic teen and a recent autism diagnosis of my own. I’ve sat on multiple sides of the table; I’ve seen a lot. And we’ve all seen the headlines where professionals have demeaned or abused students in their care. We all think, “I’m not like that!”
But I’ve seen professionals limit or take away a child’s voice. I’ve seen students given mindless and meaningless tasks. I’ve heard terms like “pre-learner” and “so low.” I’ve seen students spend years without access to reading and writing instruction. And I’ve seen professionals doing all of these things without realizing the harm they are causing to their students.
We can be better.
– Divergent News & Notes –
- Archived | Autism Spectrum Disorders Newsletter from BellaOnline.com | Circa August 11, 2008
- Snapshot | Google Alert – autism | Circa August 10, 2008
- Snapshot | Google Alert – autism | Circa August 9, 2008
- Archived | FEAT-FMC Newsletter Message | Circa August 9, 2008
- Snapshot | Google Alert – autism | Circa August 7, 2008