I am a special education teacher who happens to have an autistic teen and a recent autism diagnosis of my own. I’ve sat on multiple sides of the table; I’ve seen a lot. And we’ve all seen the headlines where professionals have demeaned or abused students in their care. We all think, “I’m not like that!”
But I’ve seen professionals limit or take away a child’s voice. I’ve seen students given mindless and meaningless tasks. I’ve heard terms like “pre-learner” and “so low.” I’ve seen students spend years without access to reading and writing instruction. And I’ve seen professionals doing all of these things without realizing the harm they are causing to their students.
We can be better.
– Divergent News & Notes –
- Open Letter To NAMI Fresno Board, Members, and Community | Via Eve Reiland
- The open bashing of a teen and using Autistic stigma … is wrong. | Eve Reiland
- Clive de Carle: speaker dropped from conference over ‘autism cure’ claims | Ireland | The Times
- Anti-vaccination groups still crowdfunding on Facebook despite c – WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports
- School gates ‘breeding ground’ for vaccine myths, says NHS chief | Society | The Guardian