Autism Speaks, founded in 2005 by Bob and Suzanne Wright, sometimes seems to have taken over the entire conversation about autism in this country, what with their blue puzzle pieces littered all over the landscape, coming to symbolize, wrongly, autism itself. Yet in spite of their ostensible role as a voice for autism, they’ve got a poor track record of showing respect for autistic people. One example is their intensely offensive “I am autism” video from 2009, promising a threatening, ominous autism that “knows where you live” and “works faster than pediatric AIDS, cancer, and diabetes combined.” Oh, and guaranteeing also that autism will make your marriage fail. It doesn’t.
– Culture & Community –
- Autistic Creations | fierceautie | Redbubble
- Getty Images and Verizon Media award $40,000 in prizes to five photographers, as part of first-ever Disability-Focused Creative Bursary
- Take Action: Stop Autism Speaks from Dictating Canadian Autism Policy!
- Illinois Girl With Down Syndrome Models For American Girl | Arlington Heights, IL Patch
- Zack Gottsagen didn’t let Down syndrome stop his dream of acting – Los Angeles Times