Autism Speaks, founded in 2005 by Bob and Suzanne Wright, sometimes seems to have taken over the entire conversation about autism in this country, what with their blue puzzle pieces littered all over the landscape, coming to symbolize, wrongly, autism itself. Yet in spite of their ostensible role as a voice for autism, they’ve got a poor track record of showing respect for autistic people. One example is their intensely offensive “I am autism” video from 2009, promising a threatening, ominous autism that “knows where you live” and “works faster than pediatric AIDS, cancer, and diabetes combined.” Oh, and guaranteeing also that autism will make your marriage fail. It doesn’t.
– Culture & Community –
- Fierce Autie: Getting fitted for and wearing a hearing aid: An autistic perspective
- William Shatner Bullies Autistic People Again | As Seen On Facebook
- Seclusion and restraint in schools: Children with disabilities at risk
- Teenager, 16, killed himself after being ‘relentlessly’ bullied for being autistic and gay | Daily Mail Online
- Spalding area’s Callum Brazzo is asking for your views ahead of the second anniversary of Autistic Lincs