Autism Speaks, founded in 2005 by Bob and Suzanne Wright, sometimes seems to have taken over the entire conversation about autism in this country, what with their blue puzzle pieces littered all over the landscape, coming to symbolize, wrongly, autism itself. Yet in spite of their ostensible role as a voice for autism, they’ve got a poor track record of showing respect for autistic people. One example is their intensely offensive “I am autism” video from 2009, promising a threatening, ominous autism that “knows where you live” and “works faster than pediatric AIDS, cancer, and diabetes combined.” Oh, and guaranteeing also that autism will make your marriage fail. It doesn’t.
– Culture & Community –
- Fierce Autistic Advocate: Autistic History: Autism Society of America
- Crisis Intervention Training | It’s Already Working Here In Fresno, California
- As Seen On Facebook | Autistic Pride Cookies & Fundraiser | Sugar Anarchy
- Learning ‘autistic’: Embracing autism | ArtsProfessional
- David Snape Show 11.10.19 by David Snape | Mixcloud