If you live near the United States or Canada, there is a good chance you have heard of Autism Speaks (especially near April, during their “Light it Up Blue” campaign). Maybe there’s an “Autism Walk” near your area hosted by Autism Speaks. Maybe your local grocery store is raising money for Autism Speaks as a “good cause.” Maybe you have heard one of their many PSAs about autism, urging early screenings and talking about the “increasing prevalence of autism.” Or maybe you have heard a celebrity talking about contributing to Autism Speaks. However you have heard about Autism Speaks, it’s unlikely you have heard about them from the very people they claim to support: the autistic community.
– Culture & Community –
- Infantilising Disabled People is a Thing and You’re Probably Unconsciously Doing It.
- Fierce Autie: What is ABA and My Experience
- Henny Kupferstein Is in an Accommodations Bat: Fierce Autistics and Allies Needs Your Help
- “Jewish Neurodivergent Pride” by fierceautie | Redbubble
- Just one supportive adult cuts the chance an LGBTQ youth will attempt suicide by 40%