If you live near the United States or Canada, there is a good chance you have heard of Autism Speaks (especially near April, during their “Light it Up Blue” campaign). Maybe there’s an “Autism Walk” near your area hosted by Autism Speaks. Maybe your local grocery store is raising money for Autism Speaks as a “good cause.” Maybe you have heard one of their many PSAs about autism, urging early screenings and talking about the “increasing prevalence of autism.” Or maybe you have heard a celebrity talking about contributing to Autism Speaks. However you have heard about Autism Speaks, it’s unlikely you have heard about them from the very people they claim to support: the autistic community.
– Culture & Community –
- Autism Canada doesn’t endorse ‘singling out children’ with blue Halloween buckets | Lifestyle from CTV News
- Fundraiser by Amanda Seigler Cvt : Let’s Get Fierce Autistics and Allies Started
- Hannah Gadsby On ‘Douglas,’ PC Culture, Cher & More – The Reykjavik Grapevine
- Open Letter To NAMI Fresno Board, Members, and Community | Via Eve Reiland
- Fierce Autistic Advocate: Autistic History: Autism Society of America