Kim Rhodes’ voice crackles with static as she calls me from her car. The actress, best known for her recurring role in the long-running show Supernatural, promises me that she’s “hands-free and breathing deeply,” but she scarcely pauses for breath as she launches into her story. Rhodes is the mother of an autistic girl, and, a few years ago, she tells me, she tweeted her support for the annual “Light It Up Blue” campaign, sponsored by the mega-charity Autism Speaks. Some of her autistic fans quickly interceded. They told her that Autism Speaks was controversial, even hated, within some segments of the self-advocate community, thanks principally to its focus on curing autism. …
– BS & The Quackery –
- SPARK for Autism will not say what they will do with our DNA | We Can Only Guess | Fierce Autie – Home
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network breaks with Sesame Street over Autism Speaks ties – The Washington Post
- #Antivaxxers and #Bleachcult | Your ‘idea’ of a civil rights movement is shit.
- I am autism video removed from Autism Speaks’ website…or is it? ( Circa Sept 2009) | Left Brain Right Brain
- Disability Community Condemns Autism Speaks (Circa 2009) | Autistic Self Advocacy Network