Orac is attacked by Capt. Kirk using fake news over the course of several days. Truly, it is a strange world.
First, a little background is in order. I didn’t delve into the hundreds of Tweets that led up to this, other than superficially, but what appears to have happened is that Shatner, as part of Autism Awareness Month, posted a plea to support Autism Speaks. Regular readers here who are aware of the history of Autism Speaks probably know why such a plea wouldn’t go over very well among many autistic people, but I’m sure Shatner had no idea about that when he posted his Tweet. Why should he? Not surprisingly, a lot of autistic people tried to explain to him why Autism Speaks isn’t the greatest charity to support. Most were respectful—deferential, even—but, Twitter being Twitter not all the responses remained civil. To show you just how far down the rabbit hole the whole conversation went, I note that a certain young autistic antivaxer, rabid alt right supporter, and misogynist who is well known to this blog and generally now referred to as The Gnat posted his glee when Shatner actually posted a link to one of his blog posts:
– BS & The Quackery –
- William Shatner Lashes Out At Autistics Again | @AutismSpeaks Yearly Bully Escapade | #KindnessCounts
- William Shatner Bullies Autistic People Again | As Seen On Facebook
- 11-year-old with Autism committed under Baker Act at local middle school | WPEC
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s Goop wellness products condemned by NHS chief
- Fierce Autie: Autistic History: Roby Mitchell