Dr. Bernard Rimland, the founder of the Autism Research Institute, was one of the most important contributors to our modern understanding of autism. It was he who led the movement to end the persecution of parents based on the false idea that autism could be caused by “cold” mothers.
But it was also Rimland who, incorrectly, led many parents to believe that autism was caused by vaccines. His approach to “curing” autism, which he called Defeat Autism Now! (DAN!), led many to undertake risky and expensive treatments.
While many parents anecdotally claim that the DAN! Protocol “cured” their children, there is virtually no research evidence to support this. More significantly, there are many large research studies which have found that Rimland’s vaccine-based theories were incorrect. …
– BS & The Quackery –
- I am autism video removed from Autism Speaks’ website…or is it? ( Circa Sept 2009) | Left Brain Right Brain
- Disability Community Condemns Autism Speaks (Circa 2009) | Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- Whose Planet Is It Anyway?: Autism Speaks Falsely Claims Video Removed ( Circa Sept 2009)
- Groups Outraged Over Video Released By Autism Speaks (Circa 2009) – Disability Scoop
- ‘I Am Autism’ Advocacy Video Sparks Controversy ( Circa Nov 2009) – TIME