Autism is a neurological difference, not an illness or a psychiatric condition.
I am autistic. I was born autistic (genetically-derived). I can and do live a good life but I require support with some things. I can and do learn but it might take me longer to learn.
Autistic children and adults know and feel that they are different but they just do not know why they are different. With diagnosis comes understanding and appropriate supports which can then be put in place.
There is no ‘cure’ for autism because autism cannot be cured and I don’t want a cure in any case because I love the way my brain operates AND I like me. Thus, I will not be using any rhetoric on this page which involves talk of pity, shame or blame. That is of old mentality and it does not belong in our society. It is time to move on.
We are now far more educated about autism. With a mentality of pity, blame, shame often comes the need to constantly want to ‘cure’ the child, to somehow make them not be autistic. That brings with it ‘treatments’ and beliefs of cures which are unsafe, dangerous and illogical.
I have lots of things I would like to tell you and share with you about autism and myself being autistic. I will share my childhood and my adult experiences as an autistic person through many more videos yet to come.
I am hoping that you will learn from what I share about myself and that you may learn things about autism which you did not know.
- Autistic Seka | I want to talk about autistic inertia which is what occurred to me yesterday. | Danijela Turner
- Autistic Seka | Experiencing Anxiety For Two Days & Don’t Know Why | Danijela Turner
- Wake. Bake. Caffeinate. | International Projects, Greta Thunberg and Martyrs… oh my | Eve Reiland
- Autistic Seka | City Shopping, Sensory Over-Stimulation| Danijela Turner
- Autistic Seka | Autistic people can be sensitive to the taste, smell, colour and texture of food. | Danijela Turner