Happy New Year! Many of you have been busy this January planning out what’s ahead in 2019, and so have we. We’ve got a lot coming up this year, including our upcomingDisability Day of Mourning vigils on March 1 and our 8th annual Autism Campus Inclusion leadership academy. But first, we wanted to highlight some exciting news: on Wednesday, the Transformation to Competitive Employment Act was introduced in Congress. If passed, this legislation would finally end subminimum wage for people with disabilities and help us get and keep real jobs for real pay. We’re proud to support this legislation and will be following it closely.
Sign-ups are currently open to be a Day of Mourning vigil site coordinator. Disability Day of Mourning vigils are held at sites around the world every March 1, with the help of dedicated vigil site coordinators. Site coordinators secure locations, do community outreach, and then lead their local Day of Mourning vigil on March 1. Sign up to be a vigil site coordinator here.
Applications for our annual Autism Campus Inclusion (ACI) leadership academy are now open. Every year, we bring a new class of autistic students to the nation’s capital to learn about disability policy, advocacy tactics, and building community power. You can find out more here. Please share with any autistic college, community college, and university students who may be interested!
We’ve got a lot in store for 2019, and we’re looking forward to sharing our successes with you in the months to come!
Director of Operations
Autistic Self Advocacy Network
– Autistic Self-Advoacy Network | ASAN –
- There was a big legislative battle here in California last year, where the hell were you faux autism advocates? | LBRB | Circa October 26, 2016
- Snapshot | Google Alerts – Autism | Circa December 19, 2011
- How an unexpected collaboration led Utah to amend its discriminatory triage plan | TheHill
- #Vaxxed, reviewed: What happened outside of the movie. – Violent metaphors | Circa June 13, 2016
- #Vaxxed, reviewed: What happened inside the movie – Violent metaphors | Circa June 13, 2016