Categories
Badass Activist | Eve Reiland

Starting To Fit In With Peers … and you can forget about the frog assignment …| Circa 27, 2007

Tue, Feb 27, 2007, 9:09 AM | Email From Me To Teacher

Hi Ms. K

Good morning! I’ve been able to get access into Jared’s grades and have noticed in Science he didn’t do this one: 02/14/07 “draw, label, and color your own digestive system”  Grade: F (0/20=0%)

I’ve talked to him about it — he says the whole digestive system chapter makes him sick to his stomach. When I talked to him about talking to his teacher about making it up he absolutely refused based on that it made him sick to think about it and no way he was going to draw it.

He really had his feet dug in about it. I’ve never seen his grades look so good before — ever. It’s astounding — even more so because he’s just starting off and doing well academically while he’s adjusting. All the rest of his grades in this class are really good — minus this one. I realize he’ll not do it and will have to take the consequences of that.

However, I’m wondering if in the future we hit a similar issue if I could alert you and maybe we could find a way to help him work through his issue/behaviors and get his work done.

I really don’t know what to do when he gets locked in about not doing classwork because it offends him.

Thank you in advance for your help, Genevieve

Tue, Feb 27, 2007, 1:41 PM | Email From Teacher To Me

Good Afternoon!

Any time there is an issue with Jared feeling this way, please feel free to let us know.

I can’t excuse the work, but we may be able to modify
it in a way that makes him more comfortable.

The Science teacher is the other Autism teacher so she will be supportive of anything needed.

His grades are good right now.  We work on homework during study skills
and he usually stays on task.  I’ve had to push a bit, but the other
students have the same classes so we all tend to work together.

It’s a nice set-up for our students to be successful.  Let me know if you need anything else.

K.

Tue, Feb 27, 2007, 3:09 PM | Email From Me To Teacher

Thanks so much. I have to say it’s so nice to explain a speed bump Jared is experiencing to someone who understands.

I just got a fax of Jared’s latest psych eval. I can make a copy and have him give it to you if it would be helpful for his IEP meeting.

He has been accepted, I just found out today, into the regional center (VMRC). His case is being transferred to the Fresno regional center (CVRC) and he should have a new case manager in a month.

Not sure what kinds of services they provide for kids his age. I know it’s a different level from what my youngest son had before the age of three.

Anything else that might be helpful to send over or have during the IEP?

Thanks again for your help!!

~g

Wed, Feb 28, 2007, 8:53 AM | Email From Teacher To Me

Good morning

I would love to have a copy of the psych eval, that would be great.

This IEP is going to be pretty short and sweet, I will be switching the
paper work to Fresno unified, probaly changing the goals in the
classroom because they don’t seem to pertain to what I do in here.

We will also be doing his transition stuff, which is basically discussing
his placement for high school.  I may have to change his IEP date
because we got a new regional specialist, but I will keep you posted if
this is the case.

K.

Wed, Feb 28, 2007, 9:42 AM | Email From Me To Teacher

Thanks for letting me know about the possible date change.

I will get a copy made of the eval. and send one with Jared. This is
they psych. eval that the regional center had done. His earlier one
was by a doctor we took him too.

I’ve discovered a program by a local group called SOAR. It’s a
socialization group for kids with autism. I’m going to get Jared
involved there. They do things like bowl together.

BTW, the anger thermometer thing was cool. Jared told me about it last
night when we were going over his planner. I could tell he visualizing
where he was standing at on the scale with the different scenarios.

~g

Wed, Feb 28, 2007, 10:05 AM | Email From Teacher To Me

I’m glad to hear that he enjoyed that activity.  The boys asked if they could do it again today, so we probably will.

Visualizations are fantastic and I always hope that they will apply it to other aspects of their life.

Wildlife club meets next wednesday at lunch.  Bill B. is the head and
said Jared is welcome to join them.  I will let Jared know today and
remind him next week when to go.  It should be good for him socially,
the program sounds good for him too.

Social activities like bowling will be great for Jared.

K.