Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 AM | From My Journal
Will Be Silent #NOMORE Actress, advocate and now an official ambassador of NO MORE speaks out about being a survivor.
Silent #NOMORE: Wow, incredible campaign to help break the stigma. I share about my challenges with mental illness and experiences with PTSD and Psychogenic Non-Epileptic Seizures, but I rarely share about the trauma that caused them.
Actually, probably never outside a select group of folks know about the why, and not much with even them — but this is the why … I am a survivor.
I’m a survivor of more than most can imagine, more than most ever want to know can be real, and more than I want to remember.So remember this when it comes to mental illness stigma and when you use words like “crazy” to describe my challenges — I am a survivor.
What you see when I seizure, have my moments and mental illness behaviors and when my flashbacks are hitting hard – often, it’s my four-year-old self that’s acting out for the help she didn’t get, the 6-year-old trying to voice what she can’t explain, the 9-year-old standing her ground against her abuser, even with the threat of being thrown down the stairs, the 12-year-old that spoke up and regretted every moment of personal invasion and ending the silence afterwards, and the other sexual abusers that followed into my teens because I was already muted by PTSD, shame and rebellion.
I’m done with stigma. I’m done with shame. I’m done with silence.
Eve Reiland (US)
- An Autistic Perspective of Anti-Vaxxers, Miracle Mineral Solution and Other Quackery | Eve Reiland
- Kanye West Is ‘Struggling’ with Bipolar Disorder as Rapper Says He Wants to Be President | With Note via Eve Reiland #TheReal5150
- ‘I might not be here without them’: Photos help fight the stigma of antidepressants | Metro News
Messages From The Archives
- The Archives | e-Speaks: Puzzle Pretzels Hit the Shelves; West Texas Walk; "Fox Sports Supports" and NASCAR; "Night of Too Many Stars" | Circa April 10, 2008
- From The Archives | Autism Speaks Newsletter: e-Speaks | Circa August 7, 2009
- Makeup Does Not Pass Autistic Son’s Inspection | Circa Feb 2008 | Eve Reiland
- The Party Will Go On …| Circa Feb. 2008 | Eve Reiland
- Life & Times of Rieker, The Dog | Circa 2008 | Eve Reiland