Jun 20, 2005, 5:51 PM | From My Journal
We are off to the library. Jared’s shoes slap-scuff irregularly as he trails me on the weather-cracked sidewalk.
He has his nose stuffed into the already thrice-read “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” series book and slows his pace during the good parts.
Craig is seated in his big stroller — the one where I can stuff three people’s borrowed books, videos and CDs in, as well as, my purse, the mini-diaper bag, snack crackers and the sippy cup – and kicks his feet merrily against the foot rest.
A passerby smiles and says hi to him and he, pretending to be shy, immediately looks away. The next person walks towards us and doesn’t notice my flashy blue-eyed son who stares at him. Craig raises his dimpled hand, spreads his fingers out wide and waves.
The stranger doesn’t smile or even look down to acknowledge my seventeen-month-old son. Craig scowls at this non-reaction and waves higher, faster and wider. Nothing.
Craig keeps his focus intense on the middle-aged man with thinning hair and lets out a screech. Now that caught the pedestrian’s interest. Craig let’s out a string of babbles, gives an ear-to-ear toothy grin and puts his hand out. …
Eve Reiland (US)
- An Autistic Perspective of Anti-Vaxxers, Miracle Mineral Solution and Other Quackery | Eve Reiland
- Kanye West Is ‘Struggling’ with Bipolar Disorder as Rapper Says He Wants to Be President | With Note via Eve Reiland #TheReal5150
- ‘I might not be here without them’: Photos help fight the stigma of antidepressants | Metro News
Messages From The Archives
- The Archives | e-Speaks: Puzzle Pretzels Hit the Shelves; West Texas Walk; "Fox Sports Supports" and NASCAR; "Night of Too Many Stars" | Circa April 10, 2008
- From The Archives | Autism Speaks Newsletter: e-Speaks | Circa August 7, 2009
- Makeup Does Not Pass Autistic Son’s Inspection | Circa Feb 2008 | Eve Reiland
- The Party Will Go On …| Circa Feb. 2008 | Eve Reiland
- Life & Times of Rieker, The Dog | Circa 2008 | Eve Reiland