I was just reading this article by Jim Carey on vaccines and started thinking….
Wouldn’t you love to be a fly on the wall at Jim Carey and Jenny McCarthy’s house? I have always been a fan of both of theirs and am delighted to see that they found each other.
Nothing makes me happier than seeing a celebrity take on a cause that is personal to them. Jenny McCarthy’s son has autism and she wrote a book about it.
As a physician, I appreciate celebrities personalizing these causes because I can only imagine how frustrating and alone it would feel to be a mom or dad of a child with Autism.
God bless Jenny McCarthy for writing a candid book on her personal experience. Nothing warms my heart like seeing that someone with a hilarious sense of humor also has a huge heart. On top of that, she is an educated and informed parent.
Jenny did not accept the doctor’s lack of answers for her son’s condition, or the medications that were not helping. She took responsibility for his health by spending hours on the internet researching her son’s condition. Now normally, this kind of parent or patient scares the heck out of most doctors. We don’t like you to know more than us.
After all her research, she then placed her son on a gluten free casein free diet. Is there a whole lot of research out there supporting this? Not really…a little bit. But who cares? It is wheat and dairy! It is not an anti-psychotic medicine that causes Tardive Dyskinesia as a side effect (given off label to boot! Meaning there is no FDA indication or research supporting its efficacy…)
So what is the harm in trying it? After a while, I think, in order to really problem solve conditions, you HAVE to think outside the box, outside the “standard of care” and go back to the basics…like that childhood game of “Hot and Cold”.
Are we getting warmer or getting colder? Maybe there isn’t a name for what is wrong with you, so let’s instead play a game to find out what makes it better and what makes it worse.
Ok…then let’s avoid the things that make it worse and only do the things that make it better.
Sorry is that too simple?
– BS & The Quackery –
- Archived w/2020 Update | Judy Converse: Educational Webinar on Autism and Special Diets | Circa October 2, 2008
- How coronavirus ‘changes the game’ for the anti-vaccination movement – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
- YouTuber accused of taping autistic son’s hands & crowdfunding adoption to boost followers – Mirror Online
- Child agencies knew of autistic brothers locked in room AND four-year-old ‘left to rot in her cot’ | Daily Mail Online
- Twitter’s ex-CEO attacks Facebook for proliferation of Bill Gates conspiracy theories – Business Insider
Messages From The Archives
- The Archives | e-Speaks: Puzzle Pretzels Hit the Shelves; West Texas Walk; "Fox Sports Supports" and NASCAR; "Night of Too Many Stars" | Circa April 10, 2008
- From The Archives | Autism Speaks Newsletter: e-Speaks | Circa August 7, 2009
- Makeup Does Not Pass Autistic Son’s Inspection | Circa Feb 2008 | Eve Reiland
- The Party Will Go On …| Circa Feb. 2008 | Eve Reiland
- Life & Times of Rieker, The Dog | Circa 2008 | Eve Reiland