Yesterday, Judge Kavanaugh was asked whether he would uphold the part of the Affordable Care Act that protects people with pre-existing conditions—and he refused to answer. For people with disabilities, these protections are a life-and-death issue. With our lives on the line, we refuse to take a gamble on Kavanaugh. Your Senators need to know that you will hold them accountable – call today, and keep calling!
During this week’s hearings, Kavanaugh has attempted to avoid answering for his past positions. He claimed that he, as a Justice, should have no ideology. We’re not buying it.
- Kavanaugh’s belief that people with intellectual disabilities do not have a right tomake their own medical decisions reflects an ideology that is discriminatory and dangerous.
- His opposition to the Affordable Care Act shows that he does not value healthcare for people with disabilities.
- His support of policies that undermine the ADA shows that he does not value our access to the community.
Kavanaugh does not want to talk about what will happen if he becomes a Supreme Court Justice, because he knows his ideology stands to harm the 1 in 4 Americans with a disability.
You know the drill—it’s time to call your Senators and tell them to vote NO on Kavanaugh. You can use our script while calling:
My name is [your full name]. I’m a constituent of Senator [Name], and I live in[your town]. I’m calling to ask the Senator to vote NOT to confirm Judge Kavanaugh. Judge Kavanaugh would undermine the Affordable Care Act, and he is a danger to the rights of people with disabilities. In 2007, he ruled that people with intellectual disabilities don’t have a right to a say in our health care. He sided with the DC government, which had forced people to have abortions they didn’t want. People with disabilities like [me/ my family member/ my friends] have a right to health care, and we have a right to make our own choices about what happens to our bodies. Please keep this dangerous man off the Supreme Court.
If you have trouble making phone calls or use AAC, our factsheet gives you strategies you can use to call your Senators. If you want more information about Judge Kavanaugh, including a plain language explainer, check out this resource page.
After you’ve called, there is more you can do to keep Kavanaugh off the Supreme Court:
- Visit your Senators’ state offices, and let their staff know how Kavanaugh’s confirmation would affect you. This kind of face-to-face meeting really makes a difference. You can find lists of your Senators’ state offices on their websites.
- Email or fax your Senators. You can use the same script you did while calling.
If the Senate votes to confirm Judge Kavanaugh, he will be appointed to the Supreme Court FOR LIFE. His decisions would affect our lives for decades to come. The stakes in this nomination fight couldn’t be higher—so we can’t back down. We must stand up for our rights, our lives, our health care, and our choices. Make your voice heard: call your Senators and tell them to vote NO on Kavanaugh!