A major autism conference was held in the UK recently. It was filled with professionals. Various speakers were invited to the stage, and gave a variety of useful and informative talks.
Then, another speaker arrived on stage. An eminent professional. Very well connected. They gave a speech which portrayed autism and parents of autistic children in various negative ways.
There was a stunned silence from the professional audience.
One of the professionals in the audience asked for the roving microphone, and said what a lot of the others were thinking – that this was totally not OK. Their interruption received applause and cheering.
The speaker left the stage, unapplauded.
Messages From The Archives
- The dramatic, pregnant quest for caffeine | Circa Dec. 3, 2008
- Mother of Confusion: 29 weeks pregnant and counting | Circa Feb. 26, 2009
- Google Alert – autism | Circa March 21, 2014
- Google Alert – autism | Circa Oct 1, 2010
- Google News Alert for: autism | Circa Dec 22, 2009