As I see it, the State of the Autistic is, well, poor. We have a long way to go. Let’s start with the obvious:
- The average life expectancy of the autistic person is 54 years old, even though autism should not affect life expectancy directly. (By contrast, neurotypical lifespan are roughly 80 years in the USA.)
- With other diagnoses, such as epilepsy, life expectancy lowers to 39, even though autism should not directly affect life expectancy. (Again, life expectancy is roughly 80 years for most neurotypical people.)
- Many of these people are murdered and raped by their caregiving families.
- Autistic voices are routinely ignored, just as much, if not more, than female voices.
- Almost every autistic woman I know has been raped, molested and/or abused, myself included.
- Almost everyone I know with autism has either no job or a low-paying job.
- I myself am on…
View original post 72 more words