In February, we announced the release of our plain language toolkit, “They Work For Us: A Self-Advocate’s Guide to Getting Through to your Elected Officials.” Now, we’re pleased to share our newly-created Easy Read version of this toolkit.
The Easy Read Edition uses pictures along with text, and has more white space. It’s written in easy-to-understand language and is screenreader-friendly. This version of the toolkit is divided into 9 parts, including “Who has the power to make laws?”, “How can I talk to my elected officials?”, and “All about voting”. This Easy Read toolkit covers:
- Who our elected officials are
- How to contact your elected officials
- Strategies, scripts, and templates to help you effectively communicate with your elected officials
- How to use social media for political advocacy
- The basics of voting: why, how, and when
They Work For Us: Easy Read Edition is the latest entry in ASAN’s ongoing series of toolkits covering the basics of civic engagement. These toolkits aim to help people with disabilities become active participants in our democracy. We encourage you to share this toolkit widely so that we can give as many self-advocates as possible the tools we need to tell lawmakers: Nothing about us without us!