Welcome to the end of the war on pot. With more landmark legislation in 2016, marijuana has continued its march toward legalization and normalization, 29 states having gone medically legal. In this updated adaptation, based on Bruce Barcott’s groundbreaking book Weed the People, we look at some of the key issues surrounding pot:
- What benefits has it shown in treating conditions ranging from glaucoma to multiple sclerosis to PTSD?
- How did it come to be classified as a Schedule I drug?
- Who are the harvesters, investors and entrepreneurs bringing pot out of the shadows and grow rooms and into the marketplace?
- How does such a marketplace come to exist amid a complicated regulatory framework?
- Where do we go from here, at a time when states are increasingly pro-legalization but a new federal administration could change things at any time?